1. See Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, Washington D.C. and Nashville.
– I would now like to add Pittsburgh to the list. And I have spent some time amusing myself with how much it would be to get a bus to some of these places…
2. Learn to live away from home and be good at it.
– I’ve not killed myself yet.
3. Keep up my fitness (maybe not as excessively as at home).
– 3 free Crossfit trial classes! And running.
4. Learn a new skill.
– I have learnt to use the crazy washing machines!
5. See as much of New York and the surrounding boroughs as I can – and not just the tourist crap, the real nitty gritty.
– I’m starting to see things, but will need more time
6. Be self sufficient.
– It’s only a couple of weeks in, but I’ve managed to feed myself, not sleep in and do my washing. So we’re off to a good start!
7. Be a better writer, photographer, interpreter, navigator.
– I think the writing has started.
– I keep forgetting to grab my camera.
– My navigation is pretty top notch, except the day I got on the Subway and went Downtown instead of Uptown (was bound to happen, how else will I learn?).
– Interpreter, not quite yet – still getting used to this sharing situation.
8. Be more assertive and confident.
– I don’t get as nervous in big groups now. Unless it’s a flat party with a lot of people squished like sardines. Then I look like a deer caught in headlights and can’t breath anymore.
9. Get a hotdog/pretzel from a vendor.
– They look gross so I’m going to scratch this. I did it before. No need to do it again. But some of the street vendors look pretty good.
10. Hail a yellow cab.
– I’m not made of money. The subway and my legs will do me fine for now.
11. Ride the subway like a pro.
– Damn right. It’s not that hard.
12. Make friends with locals.
– I’ve tried out Crossfit, so I’ve met a couple of locals.
13. Not pick up an accent.
– So far so good. Lets hope it stays that way.
14. Eat a $1 pizza slice.
– $2.50. Still to find the $1.
15. City highlights so far.
– Walking the High Line from start to finish.
– Running from Newport to Colgate Center Park, with the view of the sun setting over Manhattan skyline.
– Brunch. Who knew brunch could be so messy? 5.30pm and people were dancing on tables!